I have always had a passion for personal growth and finding ways to understand myself and using that information to become a better person. That usually equates to simply being more ME. I have a real knack for finding fantastic resources to help me do that… which I’m starting to realise is how I can help others too. It’s how I can help YOU.
Over the past couple of days I’ve been doing a personal branding e-course called Braid Creative. It’s been an incredible journey so far. It made me think a lot about myself and what I have to offer and where I want my solopreneur journey to eventually go.
There are two things that stood out for me today:
I’m bat-shit crazy about learning and doing courses and writing exams. I know. Freak of nerdy nature. But I love it. At the moment I’m doing 3 online courses, studying French at Alliance Francaise in Cape Town, learning about teaching English as a foreign language, reading a whole lot of memoirs, books about mental illness, psychology and business, and next year I’m hitting my Masters.
This all makes me giddy with excitement. It showed me that the content and products I create for my “people” will be informative and wrapped in a lovely big creative bow, jam-packed with goodies that hit you right on the head and make you say, “I DIDN’T KNOW THAT! Now I get it.” Especially if it’s about who you are and why you act the way you do and how you can heal and become the super incredible human being that you truly are. I love hunting for the stars inside people. The things that just light them up and make them unique and beautiful. I really believe that my love of learning will translate into a special way of teaching.
When I talk to people about something they are battling with or when someone comes to me for advice, the first thing I usually say is…
“Have you watched this TED talk?”
“Have you read this book?”
“OMG you must meet this girl.”
“There’s this poem you just have to read.”
I never noticed, until now, that this is actually a gift. I know shit. I gather loads and loads of information and find plenty resources that I’m longing to share. Apparently people dig that. Who knew?
So in this blog post, I would like to offer a handful of things and people I love and refer to when I feel like I’ve hit a wall. These are the people I look up to and the businesses/books/blogs I am proud to recommend (with no affiliate crap tied to it). And no, I’m not going to throw you with Danielle Laporte and Marie Forleo like everyone else. So here we go.
My favourite TED talks:
My go-to blogs and businesses (creative solopreneurs, this is for you):
The best fucking memoirs ever:
- Smacked by Melinda Ferguson
- Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (not the most popular choice I know, but it came at the perfect time in my life and helped me make the big decisions I needed to)
My favourite business books:
- The Right-Brain Business Plan by Jennifer Lee
- The Conquer Kit by Natalie MacNeil
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
Fiction, oh how I love you…and how do I choose?
- Anything by Paulo Coehlo (That’s not the book’s title. I mean literally anything by him).
- The Course of Love by Alain de Botton
If you don’t know these names, please trust me and check them out:
- Alexandra Franzen
- Jennifer Lee
- Susannah Conway
- Cerries Mooney (Do her free Archetype test. DO IT)
The books that helped me the most on my healing journey:
- The drama of being a child by Alice Miller
- Loving what is by Byron Katie
- Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
- Confessions of a sociopath by M.E. Thomas (mainly because I was in love with one and I just didn’t get it. This made me get it.)
If you want affordable therapy, to be creative, and write the best shit you’ve ever written all in one day (or two), then do this:
And here is a list of things you might not know about me, but my friends kinda do. And quite frankly, I like to see everyone who reads my posts as friends – even if right now that’s only two of you (who actually are my friends in real, offline life).
- I am obsessed with animals. I’m the girl who pulls over, crossing 3 lanes of traffic, to save a flustered pigeon from being run over. I am also very much in love with my two cats. They own my flat.
- I have more degrees and diplomas than the fingers on both my hands. And yes, I still have all 10.
- I love watching webinars and videos on creative solopreneurship. I have yet to apply any of it…but I’m starting to get there.
- I write in my journal every day and fill it with pictures. Which also means I buy a lot of magazines. A lot.
- I studied Zoology (the animal thing again) and can easily remove a puff adder from your home or pick up frogs and rats that might be scaring you onto your bed. But if you bring a rain spider within a 100-metre radius from me I lose my shit. The same with really big moths. Those massive bat-sized flapping things that love to go straight for my hair and then down my hoodie. Just writing that makes me squirm.
- I love speed. Motorbikes, boats, cars, rollercoasters, sky dives. I’m not afraid of much. Except for what I divulged in the point above. And all the other serious stuff like rejection and shame and crap. But seriously, my other blog posts cover that. Enough already.
- My favourite shoes are my 20-eye black Doc Martens that I bought on sale in Paris.
- Which brings me to my favourite city in the world. Seriously. Have you been to Paris?
- I have a book fetish. I collect them. I buy dozens every month. I work in a bookshop so that I can score my staff discount. I have thousands of books. Really. Thousands. I eventually want a library like that one in Beauty and the Beast. You haven’t seen it? Here’s a reminder…
- I always go the extra mile. I go beyond what people expect. If there is a need I do my very best to meet it. Even if I don’t know the person. Some stranger might need a sparkly bag for some party, and even if we just met, I will gladly drive home and get mine for her. She can just, well, have it.
Enough about me. I would love to hear more about you.
Even if it’s just one thing, tell me what lights you up. What makes you want to get up in the morning. Your biggest, boldest dream. The books and resources YOU recommend (you know I love that shit).
My comment section is right after this post.
PS: I also love getting comments.